An original native of St. Croix, Virgin Islands, Holstein got his start in the numbers game on Wall Street. After a stint in the Navy and working as a porter and a doorman, Holstein worked his way to Wall Street as head messenger for a brokerage firm. While on the street, he studied the stock market and familiarized himself with numbers. Like many poor people of the time, he took his knowledge to the gangs, earning a living by running an illegal lottery he nicknamed Bolito. By 1920, the kid from the West Indies had become the “Bolito King,” head of the most successful underground lottery system of the time.
- 5 Surprisingly Healthy Things That Are Making You Tired
- Don't Let Your Friends Keep You In Debt
- 21 Couples On Reality TV Who Are Legally Married
- IMAN's New CC Creme Is The Perfect Concealer For Dark Circles
- Not So Sweet: 6 Things To Know About Sugar Substitutes
- The Surprising Health Risk For New Moms