Memorial Day weekend kicks off the unofficial start of the sultry summer season! From backyard BBQ’s to lounging by the beach, this holiday honors those brave American’s who have sacrificed their lives for our nation, offering many of us time to get away and enjoy time with family and friends. But before you book those travel plans, check out our picks for five fabulous Memorial Day 2011 weekend getaways.
1. South Beach Miami, Florida – This is a popular vacation destination amongst the 20′s to 30′s something crowd of energetic fashionable hip-hoppers. These jet-setters fly down to Sobe to engage in a festive unique social setting, in a place that is known for it’s trendy boutique hotels. With a gorgeous ocean sitting beside Miami’s infamous ‘strip’, thousands will be posted up, hanging out, showing off their fancy cars and beach attire while relaxing in the sun. If you like nice restaurants, clubs and long nights… this just may be the place for you!
2. Virginia Beach, Virginia- A very traditional vacation destination, this family friendly ocean front getaway has a little something to do for everyone in the family, from the baby to grandma and everyone in between. Whether you’re in search of a sunny beach adventure, a fishing excursion, or just looking to have a great time, let Virginia Beach transform your Memorial Day weekend into an event to remember.
3. Las Vegas, Nevada- Memorial Day Weekend in Vegas is an explosive high energized time of the year and the visitors that make the trip will be pleased that it’s well worth the effort. Vegas brings large crowds of people looking to enjoy themselves at their many lavish hotels and casions along the iconic Vegas Strip. With it’s bright lights and a mix of people, there will be a lot of celebrities, special performances and concerts going on 24-7. Vegas is known for is it’s amazing pool parties, that usually being in the early afternoon!
4. Ocean City, Maryland - This peaceful ocean front town will leave you feeling a sense of calm and peace if you choose this historic beach as your Memorial Day destination. Ocean city boasts some of the best seafood restaurants on the east coast along with miles of shore for fishing, crabbing and boating. If you are looking for a romantic retreat, a family getaway or some good old alone time, OC has a little something for everyone.
5. Washington D.C – What better travel destination to spend a Memorial Day 2011 weekend getaway than our nation’s capital. You will truly feel like a patriot as you visit various monuments throughout the D.C. area. Memorial Day 2011 events include the annual wreath laying ceremony at several monuments and memorials in Washington, DC, a free National Symphony Orchestra concert on the Capitol’s West Lawn and a fun-filled Memorial Day parade that runs down Independence Avenue.