Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who have given the utmost for their country. For many, it is also a time that marks the beginning of summer outdoor activities like picnics and BBQ’s. Get ready to warm up the coals, pull out the cooler, and create a spread of summer salads and side dishes.
Here are some quick and easy recipes that are sure to make your guests happy:
Marinated Grill Shrimp
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup tomato sauce
* 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
1. In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, and red wine vinegar. Season with basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl, and stir until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
2. Preheat grill for medium heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade.
3. Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp on preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.
Easy Barbecue Chicken
2 pounds chicken pieces
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
Red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
Wash chicken and dab dry with a paper towel, then season with salt, pepper, pepper flakes and minced garlic.
Clean the grill off with a grill brush and a towel, and lightly brush with olive oil to keep chicken from sticking. Heat grill on a medium-low setting for 5 minutes.
Grill chicken, skin side up and with grill top down, for about an hour to an hour and a half, turning occasionally. Chicken is done when meat is fork-tender and juices run clear. At the last minute, baste chicken with barbecue sauce, turning once to allow sauce to “dry.” Take off grill immediately, and serve with side of barbecue sauce.
Southern Potato Salad
5 med. potatoes
6 hard boiled eggs
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1/2 c. chopped sweet pickles
1/4 c. chopped onion
1 c. mayonnaise
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Cook potatoes in salted water in saucepan until tender. Chill in refrigerator. Peel and chop potatoes. Combine potatoes, 5 chopped eggs, sugar, mustard, pickles, onion, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in serving bowl. Mix well. Top with remaining eggs; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 7 servings.
Happy Memorial Day!
Memorial Day Must Have Items