For this dessert, you’ll need a box of Betty Crocker Super Moist German Chocolate cake mix, which chef Mary Maher enhances with a couple of choice ingredients. To add flavor and moistness, replace the 1 1/3 cup water the recipe calls for with the same amount of grade-A dark maple syrup, and swap the 1/2 cup oil with an equal portion of pumpkin pie filling.
- 1 box(es) Betty Crocker Super Moist German Chocolate cake mix, prepared
- 1/3 cup(s) grade-A dark maple syrup
- 1/2 cup(s) pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tub(s) Duncan Hines Classic Dark-Chocolate Fudge frosting
- 2 cup(s) white-chocolate chips
- To Make the Cupcakes: Place paper liners in a muffin pan, then fill each liner two-thirds full with prepared cake mix. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, then set aside until cool. Repeat process until you’ve baked 24 cupcakes.
- Transfer frosting into a bowl, microwave for 10 seconds, and stir; repeat until thin enough to pour. Dip cupcake upside down into frosting, submerging the top but not touching liner to frosting. Let excess drip off before turning upright. Continue until all cupcakes are glazed.
- To Make the Cake Topper: Microwave white-chocolate chips in a bowl for 30 seconds and stir. Continue to microwave in 20-second intervals until almost melted. Stir again until chocolate is completely melted. Pour inside a freezer bag with one tip snipped off to create a piping sleeve.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Slide spiderweb template underneath paper. To make each web, use piping sleeve to trace white chocolate along design, making sure to connect all lines. Repeat process until you’ve created 24 toppers. Chill them in refrigerator for 10 minutes. Then, using a spatula, remove webs carefully from parchment and position one on each cupcake
Make sure to drop us a line and tell us how it turns out. It’s a big hit with the little ones.