Life is full of joy and pain, happiness and sorrow. It is normal to feel sad when a loved one dies, or when you are sick, going through a divorce, or having financial problems. But for some people the sadness does not go away, or keeps coming back. If your “blues” last more than a few weeks or cause you to struggle with daily life, you may be suffering from clinical depression.
Michelle Williams talks about her new CD Journey To Freedom, her struggles with depression, thoughts on becoming a mom and dealing with Bey & Jay rumors. She talkeed with the Box Houston this morning and had a candid discussion.
Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older (18% of U.S. population).
Here are 5 facts
- Roughly 20 million people in the United States suffer from depression every year.
- 2. 1 in 4 young adults will suffer an episode of depression before age 24.
- 3. Women are 2 times as likely to suffer from depression than men.
- 4. People who are depressed are more prone to illnesses like colds than non-depressed people.
- 5. Continuous exposure to violence, neglect, abuse, or poverty may make people who are already susceptible to depression all the more vulnerable to the illness.
How do I get help for clinical depression? The first step is to talk to your doctor, who may recommend a physical checkup to find out if there is any underlying physical cause for the depressive symptoms. If clinical depression is diagnosed, then your physician or health maintenance organization will refer you to a mental health specialist. Mental health professionals include psychiatrists, psychologists, pastoral counselors and social workers.
Are you in crisis? Call 1-800-273-TALK
Make sure that you read:
Bishop Carlton Pearson Addresses Rumors: 'I Am Not Gay' [Open Letter]
Aaron Lindsey Debuts New Song “Take Care” [EXCLUSIVE]
Lecrae Clears Up His Reaction To Pastor Calling Slavery A “White Blessing” [EXCLUSIVE]
Everything You Need To Know About Loni Love’s New Book, ‘I Tried To Change So You Won’t Have To’ [EXCLUSIVE]
How To Be An Instrument Of Praise [VIDEO]
HUMOR: 20 Questions For Church Folks
9 Radio Hosts That Offer Daily Inspiration
Latonya Brumfield Story Of Survival Will Truly Inspire You [Exclusive Interview]